Born in Nunda, New York, in 1855, Emma Lampert Cooper was known as a brilliant colorist of landscape painting. She studied at Wells College, Cooper Union Art School and the Art Students League with Agnes Abbatt and William Merritt Chase. She frequently painted in Europe and studied at the Academie Delecluse in Paris and with Jacob Kever in Holland. She also traveled throughout Canada and India.
Cooper became head of the art department of Foster School in Clifton Springs, New York, and also taught at the Mechanic’s Institute in Rochester. In 1897, she married artist Colin Campbell Cooper. She was active in the watercolor societies and exhibited widely. Cooper was a founder of the Rochester Art Club, in Rochester, NY.
Member: Philadelphia WC Club; American WC Society; NY WC Club.
NAD, 1883-95; Paris Salon, 1887, 1893; World’s Columbian Expo (Chicago), 1893 (medal); Atlanta Expo, 1895 (medal); American Art Society (Philadelphia), 1902 (gold medal); Louisiana Purchase Expo (St Louis), 1904 (two bronze medals); NY Women’s Art Club, 1907 (prize); PPIE, 1915.